Understanding Life

Topics: Theory X and theory Y, Douglas McGregor, Organizational studies Pages: 12 (4343 words) Published: February 23, 2013
Student: ___________________________________________________________________________

1. 2.

Travelocity is a company that believes in the ethical treatment and development of employees. True False Michelle Peluso, CEO of Travelocity, subscribes to McGregor's Theory X views concerning employees. True False Practical experience and research both tell us that layoffs should increase the motivation of remaining employees. True False According to Jeffrey Pfeffer nearly 90% of today's organizations are truly "people centered." True False According to Jeffrey Pfeffer, companies must choose between stressing continuous improvement and making employees feel comfortable. True False Research evidence suggests that increasing job security is associated with higher profits and lower employee turnover. True False Providing training for employees leads to lower employee turnover. True False An organization is a system of consciously coordinated activities of two or more people. True False According to the text, there are three levels of OB analysis: individuals, groups, and organizational. True False


4. 5.


7. 8. 9.

10. The World Health Organization, General Motors, and Al Qaeda are all examples of formally defined organizations. True False 11. OB is an interdisciplinary field dedicated to better understanding and managing people solely in for profit business environments. True False 12. Organizational behavior is a vertical discipline functioning in the human resource realm. True False 13. Organizational behavior is a specific job category in most organizations (e.g., the "COBO" or the Chief Organizational Behavior Officer). True False 14. Legalization of union-management collective bargaining helped foster the human relations movement. True False 15. Reanalysis of the original Hawthorne data strongly supports initial conclusions about the positive effect of supportive supervision. True False

16. Writer Elton Mayo advised managers to attend to employees' emotional needs. True False 17. Mary Parker Follett urged managers to demand job performance instead of merely attempting to elicit it from employees: a "push" rather than "pull" strategy. True False 18. Douglas McGregor believed managers could accomplish more by first admitting that employees are intrinsically selfish and lazy and then working to remedy that fatal flaw. True False 19. According to McGregor's Theory X, people tend to procrastinate and loaf whenever they can. True False 20. Confidence, hope, optimism, subjective well-being, and emotional intelligence are the five key dimensions of McGregor's Theory X. True False 21. According to McGregor's Theory Y, the typical employee can learn to accept and seek responsibility. True False 22. McGregor's Theory X asserts that employees must be coerced and threatened with punishment before they will work. True False 23. From a philosophical perspective, McGregor's Theory X places a greater emphasis on human potential than does his Theory Y. True False 24. The ultimate goal of Six Sigma is to come within six standard deviations of perfection. True False 25. Six Sigma promotes intense scrutiny of how a process is defined, measured, analyzed, improved, and marketed. True False 26. Total quality management (TQM) is defined as continuous, customer-centered, employee-driven improvement. True False 27. Total quality management is established today thanks in large part to the pioneering work of Douglas S. Surber. True False 28. In successful improvement programs, Total quality management principles are embedded in the organization's culture. True False 29. According to W. Edwards Deming, when things go wrong, there is roughly a 60% chance that the system (e.g., management, machinery, or rules) is at fault and about a 40% chance that the individual employee is at fault. True False 30. W. Edwards Deming believed that formal training in statistical process control is unnecessary (and even counterproductive) in...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Understanding the Employee’s Perception of Their Role in the Workplace: Increasing Productivity Essay
  • 1. What Is Meant by Effective Communication? Why Is Mutual Understanding at the Heart of Any Definition of Effective Communication Essay
  • Understanding the ISLLC Standards Essay
  • College Life Research Paper
  • Understanding Labyrinthine Essay
  • Essay about Understanding Nourishes Belonging. a Lack of Understanding Prevents It.
  • Understanding by Design Framework Plan Essay
  • Understanding Eskimo Science Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free